Sunday 26 February 2012

In My Mailbox and Mailbox Mondays #5



Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling tbr piles and humongous wishlists. In February Mailbox Monday is being hosted by Metroreader.


In my mailbox is hosted by  The Story Siren.

This week I got a kindle and four new books!




The first book I got this week is The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I have seen this on lots of blogs and was thrilled to get it from netgalley this week. I can't wait to read it next. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.com. 

Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead--and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.





The second book I got this week was also from netgalley. It is The last Romanov by Dora Levy Mossanen. I hadn't heard of this one until I saw it on netgalley and thought it sounded really interesting. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.com.  


                                                                                                                          For almost a century, Imperial Russia has captivated the imagination- the ruthless execution of the royal family, the disputed survival of the heir: it's a cinematic chaos that the masterful Dora Levy Mossanen unravels for her readers. Taking readers deep into tarnished grandeur, The Last Romanov follows Darya, a wise old beauty whose time spent with the Imperial family has haunted her entire life. When the murderous events unfold, Darya is plagued by the prophecy made by the Empress's advisor, Rasputin. She must find the missing Tsarevich Alexis Romanov and restore the monarchy or risk losing her own life.




The third book I got this week is Prophecy - The fulfilment by Deborah A. Jaeger. I got this book from Amazon for my kindle after coming across it randomly on fantastic fiction. It didn't cost much so I thought I would give it a go. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.com.
                                                                                                                            A typical teenager, Jillian Macomb, is looking forward to senior high. Or at least she was. Having just broken up with her boyfriend, she receives the stunning and unexpected news that she's pregnant. Her father's protege, Stephen Jacobs, and she form an unlikely alliance as they realise that their nighttime apparitions are more than simple dreams, making it clear to them that the child she carries is no ordinary child. When a geneticist discovers that Jillian's pregnancy holds the key to inexplicable healings, he will stop at nothing to claim the magnificent discovery as his own. Meanwhile, government officials and representatives from the Catholic Church arrive to investigate the astonishing events, realising that whoever controls the source of the miracles will become the ultimate world power. In the ultimate test of faith, Stephen and Jillian must decide who they can trust, and whether or not to believe the compelling and terrifying message of the prophecy.


The fourth and final book I got this week was The Dress by Sophie Nicholls. I got this from Amazon for my kindle. I discovered it by looking through the kindle bestseller lists.
Here is the synopsis from Amazon. 
                                                                                                               Meet Ella and her mother Fabbia Moreno who arrive in York, one cold January day, to set up their vintage dress shop.

The flamboyant Fabbia wants to sell beautiful dresses to nice people and move on from her difficult past. Ella just wants to fit in. But not everyone is on their side. 

Will Fabbia overcome the prejudices she encounters? What's the dark secret she's hiding? And do the silk linings and concealed seams of her dresses contain real spells or is this all just 'everyday magic'?

Among the leopard-print shoes, tea-gowns and costume jewellery in Fabbia's shop are many different stories - and the story of one particular dress.


16 comments:

  1. The Prophecy sounds really interesting. I'm going to have to look into that one.
    Happy reading
    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/in-my-mailbox-46.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got Snow Child from the library last week after seeing it on so many blogs. Will be looking forward to your review on The Last Romanov. I'm still undecided on whether to read this one.

    Looks like we like a lot of the same books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great mailbox you had this week. Some good looking books here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zoe,

    A great selection of books this week, although there are only a couple that would probably interest me enough to add them to my reading list.

    Lots of fellow bloggers have raved over 'The Snow Child' and I really like the sound of 'The Dress', although both authors are new to me.

    I see from your profile that you haven't been blogging that long, so welcome and I hope that you are having fun so far.

    It is always good to 'meet' new people and it is great to have another new site to visit for all those great recommendations.

    Have a good week.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your Kindle! I love my ereader. the Dress looks great. I have the Snow Child, and I've heard great things about it. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, these all look good! I like the looks of The Snow Child, The Dress, and The Last Romanov.

    Enjoy!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! The Snow Child sounds intriguing! Looking forward to reading your reviews!
    Happy Reading~
    Kimberly
    http://literaryconnections.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so intrigued by The Snow Child...I want to read it! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Snow Child sounds intriguing -- a child created from snow -- amazing. I will look forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Snow Child and the Last Romanov both look good to me! enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These ALL sound good. I'm especially looking forward to The SNow Child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Snow Child is supposed to be excellent! I hope you love it and the rest of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep seeing The Snow Child mentioned on blogs in recent weeks. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking forward to reading the Snow Child too. Nice set of books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They all sound really interesting.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/mailbox-monday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. First two look very good to me! Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete